WeaponsCollector.com
Previous Page Next Page

Pair of Boxlock Flintlock Pistols
by Townshend, Circa 1783
The Boxlock
English boxlock pistols began to appear around 1730 (1) and lasted well into the percussion era of the next century. With a boxlock the cock (hammer) is located in the center of the lock on top of the action. The flashpan and frizzen are located just in front of the cock on the center of the breach. The frizzen spring is fitted into a recess on top of the breech. Most boxlock pistols have a trigger guard safety. Sliding the trigger guard forward with the pistol half-cocked, locks the trigger and the cock.
Queen Anne Pistol
Description
This pair of boxlock flintlock pistols have turn-off barrels that resemble cannons. The walnut stocks have silver escutcheons and silver butt-caps that feature a grotesque mask. The pistols both have a sliding trigger guard safety. "TOWNSHEND" is engraved on left side (cover plate) of the locks. Two Birmingham private proof marks are stamped on the bottom of each breech, a Crown over a "P" (the gun-makers proof) and a Crown over a "V" (the "view mark"). Three silver hallmarks are stamped on each grotesque mask, an anchor indicates the city of Birmingham, "CF" the makers mark of the silver caster Charles Freeth (2) and "L" the date letter for 1783 (3).
Overview
Type: Pocket Pistol
Style: Boxlock Turn-Off Flintlock
Country: England
Overall Length: 7 3/4 inches
Barrel Length: 2 3/8 inches
Weight: 11 1/2 ounces
Bore: 0.43 inches, Smooth
Stock: Walnut, Ball Butt style

  • 111-0016a_small.jpg
  • 111-0016b_small.jpg
  • 111-0016c_small.jpg
  • 111-0016d_small.jpg
  • 111-0016e_small.jpg
References
(1) Horton & Richards, Traveling Pistols, Page 127 to 132
(2) Gun Furniture Makers registerd in Birmingham, Page 170 to 171
(3) Date Letters of silver hallmarks in Birmingham, Page 184
Georgian Pistols, The Art and Craft of the Flintlock Pistol, 1715-1840, By Norman Dixon

Top Of Page Previous Page Next Page
Copyright © 2010-2017 WeaponsCollector.com All Rights Reserved. Phone (904) 417-8074
Previous Page Previous PagePrevious Page