This excavated Left-Hand Spanish Parrying Dagger
was reportedly found near the Rio Grande river in New Mexico. It may date from exploration of the area by Coronado 1540-1542 (1)
. The 5 inch hilt has a large scent-stopper shaped pommel, a curved cross-guard (quillon) and a side ring guard (anneau) fitted with an openwork metal plate. The previous owner stabilized the side ring plate using solder. The 13 3/4 inch needle-point blade has two grooves (fullers) on each side.